American Wool Series

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Home-made Blocking Board


I finally decided to do a little blocking as I have two projects from Fitted Knits that, while wearable, need a little blocking love to tidy up stitches and keep edges from rolling up. Enter my skills as Macgyver's secret protege. I took my cutting board (the cardboard kind you get at any fabric store) and did NOT unfold it all the way so that it was about double thickness. I swathed that in a plastic garbage bag so that the dampness wouldn't affect the cardboard and then layed three layers of towels over the bag. Voila! Instant blocking board out of stuff I already own. I used straight pins to pin down my garment the way I like and set her out to dry. I figured the straight pins wouldn't do any terrible damage to the cardboard as it was protected by the towels. I'm sure that if you have something to block that is lighter weight you could use just one layer of towels and the bag along with pins. Just make sure they won't rust!
The finished project. Specs: Cap sleeve tee from Fitted Knits in Cascade Pima Tencel (Tealy-blue color). Things I've learned: 1)Really do try things on as you go! I could have made this a little shorter and possibly done some center back decreases for a little more shaping around my middle. 2) Wait to find a closure that you absolutely love. Mine is a really simple silver clasp. 3) Cotton blends are much easier to knit with than 100% cotton. 4) Block everything!

3 comments:

  1. *whistles* Damn girl!! Looking gorgeous in your self-made gear ;) Tens, total tens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh shucks. Tweren't nothin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely beautious! very cute, and very wearable - color looks great on ya!

    ReplyDelete