American Wool Series

Friday, August 24, 2007

Finis!






Fifi is complete. (Pic to come - I'm waiting for the comcast guy this weekend to upload a bunch of pics FAST!) I bound off the sleeves last night while watching some QaF and sipping a beer. No better way to finish a project, eh? I'm excited to move on to my poor, languishing undulating rib socks and ponder my next project. I did in fact order some wool from Briar Rose but not the one I posted about. I put others before myself and ordered some yarn (1000 yds for 50$!) to make the Mom a wrap for Christmas. She's had a a rough year, recently suffered a small stroke but is already recovered. She deserves something beyewtiful. I'm thinking Clapotis. I think I missed the band wagon on this one since it looks like all of the kal groups are from about two years ago. I guess I'm not in with the in crowd. :)



I'm going to end this post with an interesting quote from Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood. The main character has a retrospective of her work about to go up and heads into the gallery to meet with the owners and talk about the show. She speaks about the art and how galleries are too reverent, blah blah blah. Here it is: "This gallery is not totally sterilized, there are touches of cutting edge: a heating pipe shows, one wall is black. I don't give a glance to what's still on the walls, I hate those neoexpressionist dirty greens and putrid oranges, post this, post that. Everything is post these days, as if we're all just a footnote to something earlier that was real enough to have a name of its own." I love that last bit, it reminds me of so many things these days. How music is post, proto, precursor. How fashion recycles itself, reinvents. Is there any original thought out there? Anyone? Anywhere? Holla back if ya here me.

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya! I think it holds people back from creating a bit, like it justifies their lack of doing because well hey it's already all been done before right? A pox on them :)

    ReplyDelete