Saturday, April 19, 2014

WIP: CustomFit Pullover

 Sweater progress!
Things have been a little sparse on the personal knitting front the past couple of weeks. I was working on a large sample knitting project and only had time to knit on my own projects during my commute to and from work. I finished my sample last weekend (sans blocking) and picked up my CustomFit pullover in ToshDK. The pieces are all done and blocking and I'm super-excited to get them sewn together so I can see how well CustomFit, well, custom fits. By next weekend I'll have a finished sweater!

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

FO: Vanilla Socks

Pattern: 64 stitch plain vanilla sock from my noggin
Yarn: Regia Hand-dye Effect in Fog
Needles: US #1 (2.25 mm) Hiya Hiya Sharps
Mods: This is my own standard sock pattern using a 64 stitch cast on. Nothin' fancy. I have to say, though, that I really dislike knitting with this yarn. It's basically a wool single plied with a nylon thread. And that wool single? Hairy and splitty and not pleasant at all to the hands. I was mostly annoyed with this yarn's tendency to split since I cast these on to knit while I watched the Lego movie and I have some not very pretty stitches toward the top of the first sock and intermittently throughout the pair of socks (bus knitting is bumpy!). The finished socks are rather pretty and if the yarn weren't such a pain to knit with I'd happily buy more since I like the "hand-dye effect".

Monday, April 14, 2014

Music Monday

"Here Comes Your Man" from the 1989 album, Doolittle, by the Pixies. I have a love for the Pixies that knows practically no bounds. I heard "Gigantic" at a party one night and set out shortly thereafter to discover more about the band, Kim Deal's amazing bass playing, and Frank Black's vocal prowess. In 2009 I spent way more money than I should have to go see the Pixies play Doolittle on the 20th anniversary of the album's release and I was saddened when Deal left the band for the Breeders. 

Let's just say that even after all the intervening years between that night at the party and today, the Pixies have stayed with me and I'm still surprised and amazed by songs I've heard thousands of times. A good friend of mine recently sent me one of the 33 1/3 series - Doolittle by Ben Sisario - and I've been reading the little tome during lunch breaks and waiting in line for various things. Sadly, Deal refused to be interviewed for the book but other than that it's a fantastic read full of all kinds of interesting tidbits about the band and the creation of Doolittle.

Monday, April 7, 2014

Music Monday: Cover Edition

"Crash" by Belle and Sebastian from the 2012 album, Late Night Tales: Belle & Sebastian Vol. II

"Crash" by the Primitives from the 1988 album, Lovely.

I'm not really sure if I prefer one version over the other in this case since I don't think one version is necessarily better or more interesting than the other. What I can say after watching the videos is that the yellow and black polka-dot scarf Tracy Tracy is wearing totally kills me and the little paper Belle &  Sebastian band is adorable.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

2014 Annual Purlygirl Retreat

 Last weekend I went out of town on the Annual Purlygirl Retreat to Port Townsend. Despite the ominous picture the weather was beautiful and I was able to take a long walk on Saturday and do some exploring. Other than my walk on Saturday, we ate a lot of food, played games, drank some drinks and did a lot of knitting and talking. My drink of choice was white rum with extra ginger ginger beer and some lime. My knitting project of choice featured the yarns below.
Brooklyn Tweed Loft in four shades of gray: Soot, Sweatshirt, Cast Iron, and Snowbound (left to right and top to bottom). These are for a sample knit so I can't share more than that but I can share the fact that I love knitting with this yarn. It's so light and lofty that I contemplated picking up a sweater quantity at Churchmouse Yarns and Teas on Bainbridge Island. Sanity won out seeing as how I've accumulated multiple sweater quantities this year between Stitches West and Vogue Knitting Live Seattle, but I'm definitely thinking about it for a future purchase. The weekend was relaxing, my extra day off to recover was necessary, and I'm already looking forward to next year.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

FO: Ruru

Pattern: Ruru by Kylie Bates (free on Ravelry)
Needles: US #3 (3.25 mm) Hiya Hiya Sharps
Mods: I used a larger needle and you can see what happened - I ran out of yarn at the top of the second mitt! It wasn't an intentional modification since I thought I had grabbed a 2 1/2 size needle and once I realized my mistake I had most of the first mitt done. These are really fun to knit and super fast. Little A will get a lot of wear out of them and she should be able to wear them through the rest of this year (I hope). The owl cable motif is really fun to knit.

This project counts toward my goal to knit more of my sock yarn scraps this year and use patterns that are in my Ravelry library. This yarn is now completely out of my stash!

Monday, March 24, 2014

Music Monday

"When That Helicopter Comes" from the 2000 album, In the Air, by the Handsome Family. I'm fighting yet another cold and felt awfully alt-countryish today.