American Wool Series

Monday, November 12, 2007

Brick Wall Knitting


Ene's Scarf
Originally uploaded by zombiegirl1
The progress on this project feels incredibly slow and painful. I know that I'm making progress since I'm knitting on it monogamously at the moment, yet no matter how much I knit at the time I feel I've hit a brick wall. The post-its on the chart are moving, the number of repeats on this particular chart are marked down and steadily growing. Why do I feel this sense of ....frustration? It's a gorgeous yarn, 70/30 angora/nylon and I love to bury my face in the resulting squishy and luxurious fabric. The end is almost in sight and yet the creative rush I feel towards the end of other projects is absent. Does my joy with a knitting project have an expiration date? Does it go off like milk in the fridge and start to sour? How in the world do I repair my love for Ene's Scarf? Finish it? Hibernate it (I tried this once and it didn't seem to work)? Close my eyes and hearken back to when I started the project to try and capture that lost knit-lust? She's there, waiting for me when I get home, do I tell her it's over or just continue along out of habit. *sigh*

3 comments:

  1. Ooo, i very much love the color :)

    And I suggest talking dirty to it. Least if it doesn't rekindle the love it will provide for some good laughs ;) Never fear, I've field tested this methodology on my houseplants and those naughties loooooove it, ha!

    I'm ready for vacation now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't despair, I felt the same way while working on Intolerable Cruelty from knitty.com. I put it down for a while then missed it and just picked it back up. To get me through it I only think of how good I'm going to look in it this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the much needed knit-support! I made a lot of progress at knit night (last night) and am on the last repeat with very little left to go. Just slogging away at it now.

    ReplyDelete