American Wool Series

Monday, October 29, 2007

Spinning Around


Cheeky Scarecrow Socks
Originally uploaded by zombiegirl1
Yesterday I went over to Jessica's place to learn how to spin. It was incredibly educational and really fun to learn a new fiber-related skill. She sent me home with a spinning wheel, some extra bobbins, and a lot of good advice. The Man was excited just to watch and I felt that I got a bit better with my drafting/twisting action. I can only liken it to what it must be like to learn how to drum - all of that foot and hand coordination. I'm excited to finish up my bobbin, get another one started and ply it together. This is going to be my first spinning/dyeing experiment and I'm looking forward to the finished product. I think this is going to be yet another time-suck, I started spinning once I got set up at home and the next time I looked up it was two hours later. Yikes! Any learn-to-spin horror stories out there? I wonder how other spinners/knitters felt when they first started out?

In FO land I finished up my first pair of socks for me. Yay! Just in time to post for sockburning for Stash & Burn. Specs: Thank Ewe hand-dyed sock yarn (about 60% of the 630 yd ball) on #2 dpns, Cheeky sock pattern from No Sheep for You. I've been wearing them around the house and I do believe I'm a convert to the hand-knit sock cult. Viva la sockolution!

No comments:

Post a Comment