American Wool Series

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Madrona Loot


I'm still reeling from Madrona. Got up at 7 am grabbed a giant macchiato with an extra shot and drove myself down to Tacoma in time for my 9am class - Lace Basics with Evelyn Clark. This was my first knitting class in the less-than-a-year I've been knitting plus it was my first Fiber Festival/Retreat of any kind. A little overwhelming at first and my mind is still wrapping itself around everything I learned in class: old norwegian cast on, splicing yarn 4 different ways for different fibers, and how lace charts work and how to read them. I'm not going to run out and start knitting shawls right away (I prefer stoles anyhow) but I feel like I have good information and some great advice on techniques to get me started. I like Evelyn a lot and felt really comfortable asking her questions and fondling the shawls she passed around the class. Incredibly beautiful stuff and a great aid for teaching, besides who doesn't like to show off their knitting accomplishments? Class was really great for me and it made me want to return next year and take a few classes and stay the night and totally immerse myself in knitting. Drool.

After lunch with some of the ladies from my knitting group we trotted on over to the market place where a bit of damage was done to ye olde pocketbook. I reigned myself in a bit and only looked at things I couldn't pick up at my LYS. Blue Moon Fiber Arts broke me down and I picked up a skein of sock yarn from the Raven Clan Series and two skeins of Luscious (100% silk) for a Clapotis. The icing on the cake was Tactile - a fiber arts studio from the Bay Area that does naturally dyed yarns and fiber. I think I touched every skein in her booth and ended up with two skeins of sock yarn to make a stole of some sort. The woman running the booth was so nice and we chatted about natural dyes and how they work and I gushed over how intense and varied and beautiful the colors came out. I can't wait for their online shop to open, I think they're a new favorite. All in all I had a fabulous time and can't wait for next year to immerse myself in learning new things and buying new yarn.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for saying such nice things about us! We had so much fun at Madrona. What a great crowd and event it is!!!

    Maia

    ReplyDelete