American Wool Series

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Covet! Wednesday


Wednesdays are usually dedicated to knitting-related items that I'm interested in or that I've got queued up to buy in the future (sometimes this leads to spur of the moment purchasing - baaad!). But this week I actually made the thing I wanted - a knitting organizer. I joined an 'organized knitting' group on Ravelry to try and keep my small stash and knitting life organized. One of the ladies sewed up an awesome binder-sized organizer complete with pockets and elasticized loops and all kinds of things to hold knitting accoutrements in order. Inspired, I pulled out ye olde sewing machine, wiped the dust off, and went to work. I received this Marilyn Monroe cd case from my girl Nickie for Christmas. Gorgeous! But I don't have a cd player in my 93 Olds, I still rock the cassette player. So I ripped out the inside pages and lined it with some removable zippered pockets and a needle case.













Pockets were the next order of business so I used the cd pages as a size template, cut up some plastic needlepoint canvas to make the pages rigid and sewed up some pockets for my needle tips, measuring tape, and other little knitting necessities. I then sewed the pages into the 'spine' of the lining, attached the whole thing into the case with industrial strength sticky-back velcro, and hand sewed the lip of the lining to the zipper tape of the case. Voila! She's working beatifully and holds everything I need except my double points.







1 comment: