American Wool Series

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Finished!


The socks, they are finished! Voila! Although the pattern name is Flame Wave socks I will call them Papel, er, one week socks. I cast on Saturday of last week and finished them last night. I think I'll block them as the top scalloped edge has a tendency to roll down but other than that they are ready for stowing in the cedar chest until Christmas. I used 2 balls of Cascade Fixation in size 5 dpns for the upper calf shaping and size 4 for the ankle and foot sections. The only problem I had was that the yarn is so stretchy it takes a little bit of work to figure out the tension so that the yarn isn't pulled super-taut while you work your stitches. I've decided I really like knitting socks as they're small and portable and any lace pattern works up quickly since the repeat is short.
Next on the knit list is the short-sleeved cardigan from Fitted Knits.
I'll be swatching this tonight post-Sunday-afternoon cleaning frenzy. I'll be using Lion Brand Jiffy (I know, I know, it's acrylic.) Mohair look yarn that I picked up while on vacation in California. At 2.49 a skein I couldn't resist, especially since it 's machine washable and I have a strange dislike of dry cleaning anything. The color is Chili and the gauge on the tag matches exactly the Cascade 128 that the pattern actually calls for. I love exact substitutions. It's not as super soft and luxurious as real mohair but who would say no to a 15$ sweater that feels pretty damn good?

2 comments:

  1. Oh Papel, you thief you ;) Gorgeous darling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how they turned out adn can't believe it was only one week! If I ever right my own patterns I'll definitely call one Papel. Something French-inspired, no?

    ReplyDelete