American Wool Series

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Fall Favorites: Comfort Food

When the weather starts to turn cold and chilly I get excited about all of the bone-warming recipes that gear me up for Thanksgiving. I eat soup all year long (it's something I get teased about at work since I usually have soup at least twice a week) but there's something about things like shepherd's pie and casseroles that get me excited to jump back in the kitchen. I'm a pescetarian, basically a vegetarian that eats fish, so I usually veggie up standard things like pot pies with vegetarian substitutes. I have favorite veggie items that my family also likes: Field Roast Celebration Roast, Tofurkey Italian Sausages, and Quorn Meat-free Chicken Pieces are all excellent substitutes for the real deal and allow me to make my beloved chicken pot pie.
After all of the light and crisp flavors of Summer I'm seriously ready for some homemade macaroni and cheese or pumpkin bread or mashed potatoes and ANYTHING.

Do you have a favorite Fall food or recipe?

2 comments:

  1. Your faux meats have me thinking I should expand my eating horizon. I too crave all the comfort foods that Fall has to offer. Chili tends to be high on my list of go-to foods, but mac n cheese is a very close second. What is it about Fall that peaks our food and yarn cravings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the tendency to hunker down for the winter. After all of those warm-weather foods we're ready for some stick-to-your-ribs meals.

      Delete