American Wool Series

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Mid-week Update

I was so focused on my trip to Stitches West trip that I totally thought I had posted I was on my way there last Thursday and just realized that the post only happened in my head. So, yes, I attended Stitches West and have lots of new and lovely yarn to share. Rather than dump all my purchases on you at once I think I'll do it in a few posts over the course of the next few weeks. If you follow me on Instagram (I'm ErinBirnel) you've already seen the first batch of yarn.

 I love Brooke's yarn and absolutely had to purchase this color combination after staring at all of the skeins in her lovely booth. One skein each of Equity Fingering in what I think is St. Barts (the blue one didn't have a color name), Winter's Night, and Vitamin C. This yarn is 100% Rambouillet, something I haven't knit with before and am dying to try out. It smells heavenly - like clean, washed sheepy goodness.
 Sunday morning I picked up this glorious skein of Dragonfly Fibers Traveller in Firecracker. I'm pretty much a sucker for anything overdyed with black and those bright pops of color really speak to me. Dragonfly Fibers is new to me and I'm eager to give it a whirl on my needles.
Last year I was totally enamored of Sweet Fiber and just couldn't make a decision while I was at Stitches. All year I kicked myself for not picking up even one skein of Melissa's gorgeous yarn so I was bound and determined to purchase from her this year. I found inspiration right in her booth! I tried on the Temperate Mitts sample, snagged the pattern, and marched right over to this awesome skein of Canary Merino Twist Worsted. I'll be casting these on as soon as I finish up my current project. 

Did you go to Stitches West? What was your favorite purchase?

4 comments:

  1. I tried posting on my phone yesterday, but I'm not sure if it worked...

    I was at Stitches and had a blast -- I took only once class, as I've realized that I'd much rather trawl the market! The Sweet Fiber booth was GORGEOUS and I picked up their Capilano cowl pattern and some green Merino Twist DK to make it. Another great discovery was Miss Babs' Heartland Worsted -- gorgeous, smooshy non-superwash wool. I'm going to use it for Ysolda's Pumpkin Ale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked up a sweater's worth of Heartland Worsted and I think I'll be knitting Acorn Trail by Amy Herzog with it. I think they're both cabley sweaters with a similar shape? Great minds!

      Delete
  2. Whoa! That Firecracker yarn is gorgeous!!!

    I wish I had known about Stitches West, I would have gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's pretty amazing, too. Stitches West happens every year - you'll be totally overwhelmed by all the knitters and yarn and amazingness!

      Delete