American Wool Series

Saturday, March 28, 2015

American Wool Series: Quince & Co.

This installment of the American Wool Series isn't a new-to-me yarn company. Ever since Quince & Co started up in 2010 I've been following the blog and looking forward to each new addition to their yarn line. Quince & Co is the brainchild of Pam Allen, former editor of Interweave Knits, and Carrie Hoge and their taste in classic color palettes and clean, modern aesthetic is apparent in every aspect of the business . Before I wax too romantic over Quince & Co's yarn, this is what is posted on the website about their yarn:
 
 Our wool and wool-blend yarns are spun in historic American mills from territory wool. By sourcing our wool in the US and manufacturing our yarn locally, we minimize our carbon footprint and we help keep American ranches from turning into parking lots.

But, hey, as much as we want to work with American fiber, we also want to enjoy the pleasures of fibers that aren't readily available in the US. When we use fibers that aren’t from the US, we find out as much as possible about where they are from and how they came to be. If we're sourcing a yarn from a plant fiber, we want to know if it was grown in conditions that are healthy for the soil and for those who tend and harvest it. If we're looking for an animal fiber, we want to know if the animal was raised in a way that sustains the earth and preserves the culture of the people who care for it.



 Be still, my knitter's heart.  The current yarn line includes 11 different yarns ranging from lace weight to chunky weight and includes 100% wools alongside alpaca blends, organic Belgian linen, Texas super kid mohair, and a wool-silk blend. I have knit with 5 out of the 11 yarns and found them to be not only a delight to knit but a good value. For example, Finch is a 100% fingering weight wool that has 221 yards in a 50 gram skein and sells online for $7.85. You can't really beat that price. Did I mention that it comes in 55 colors? 


One of my current WIPs (show in the top picture) is in Finch and the yarn is lovely to knit with. Finch has great stitch definition due to the roundness of the yarn and feels nice in the hands as well. If you haven't had the opportunity to try Quince & Co yarns I urge you to do so, I think you'll like it. 

PS - The WIP in the top picture is the Knitted Waistcoat from A Stitch In Time, Vol 1 by Susan Crawford.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely yarn and lovely company. but...Er...I was under the impression that Quince & Co was started by Pam Allen and Carrie Bostick Hoge? I know Ann Budd has created some lovely designs for them.Please do correct me if I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time! So much enjoy reading your blog.
    Best, Olwyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olwyn, you're absolutely correct! I've edited my post to reflect the correct information. I worked on this blog post over the course of the week and apparently that leads to errors in my editing. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from Andi's. I've admired projects done with Quince and Co. yarns; now, I NEED to try some for myself. Thank you. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete