American Wool Series

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

FO: Thousand Kisses Socks

Way back in November, Little A asked me for a pair of socks and we looked at patterns on Ravelry discussing the merits of each pattern that she liked and then went stash diving. She has lots of ideas about color and how it works together so I was surprised and pleased when she chose a blue and grapefruit combination - my girl has panache!


The socks fell by the wayside as the holidays approached but I finally finished them up and gave them a nice steam. They're ready for little girl feet!

Pattern: Thousand Kisses Socks by Josie Mercier (free)
Yarns: Invictus Yarns Unafraid in Juicy (grapefruit); Madelinetosh Tosh Sock in Oceana (blue)
Needles US #1 1/2 (2.5 mm) & US #1 (2.25mm) Addi Turbo
Mods: There is a discrepancy in the pattern between the Ravelry listing and the actual pattern on Petite Purls - Rav lists a 2.25mm needle and Petite Purls lists a 2.5mm needle. I was a bit worried that the colorwork band would be tough to get around Little A's heel so I split the difference and used a 2.5mm needle for the cuff and colorwork and then switched to a 2.25mm needle for the rest of the sock. I still have a ton of the Juicy color so we might end up with mother-daughter semi-matching socks at some point. And yes, you might notice a bit of sparkle in the grapefruit bits because there's stellina in the yarn! I've never knit with anything containing stellina so I was pleasantly surprised at the subtle sparkle.

7 comments:

  1. Those are adorable! I love that color combo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm going to have to copy the color combination for myself!

      Delete
  2. I love the colour combination!! Very striking. I'm working on a pair of socks for my daughter that I started before Christmas. My needles keep breaking though. I need to stop buying wooden sock needles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost always use metal needles when I knit these days unless it's a hat. Good luck finishing your daughter's socks.

      Delete
  3. Your girl is wicked smart! Those colors look fabulous together. Love those socks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, of course, I think she's pretty smart but apparently she has excellent color sensibility when it comes to colorwork, too. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful socks, your girl has amazing taste!

    ReplyDelete