American Wool Series

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

FO: Ella Funt

 Aren't tiny sweaters wonderful? And tiny sweaters with tiny elephants are maybe the best kind of tiny sweater. After a lengthy period of time where no one in my world was having a baby now there seems to be a spate of them, isn't that the way?

 All of the expected babies are boys so I had to do a little digging into Ravelry and my knitting library to find something appropriately adorable yet masculine for the little guys.
I think this is perfect.

Pattern: Ella Funt by Pamela Wynne
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino in various colors
Needles: US #4 (3.5 mm) Hiya Hiya Sharp Interchangeable
Mods: I knit the ribbing and button bands in a contrasting color rather than the main color of the sweater. I had an odd amount of the gray yarn in my stash which I knew would not be enough to knit the pattern as written (turns out it wasn't enough for my mod either. I had to run out and buy another skein, oops!). I also didn't think that the gray/beige color of the yarn would be great up close to a baby's face so I wanted to use a brighter color for the ribbing. It turns out that I really like this modification and will use it on the next one (coming soon). One thing about baby cashmerino is that it does show every little inconsistency so there are some bits of knitting that aren't quite smooth even after blocking. I'll sacrifice perfectly consistent fabric on the altar of machine washability, though. 

Do you have a favorite pattern for baby boys? Patterns for baby girls are everywhere but I've found it difficult to find cute things for little guys.


2 comments:

  1. Adorable, I love the little elephants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this elephant sweater! My go-to baby boy sweater is Iceling - wooden buttons, shawl collar, and double-breasted.

    ReplyDelete