American Wool Series

Saturday, November 23, 2013

FO: Salida

Pattern: Salida by Janneke Maat (free)
Yarn: Araucania Ranco (376 yards per 100 grams; 75% wool/ 25% nylon)
Needles: US #1 (2.25 mm) Hiya Hiya Sharps
Mods: I knit the pattern as written using a Twisted German cast on for extra elasticity around the cuff. I'm not a fan of short row heels but I decided to go with the flow for these - they're snug enough with all of those twisted stitches that the heel fits okay. I ended up knitting the pattern repeat twice for the foot and then rows one through eight or ten again to finish up the twisted stitch motif before I started the toe. There are so many twisted stitches on every round that I highly recommend using a nice, pointy-tipped needle to make the knitting easier on yourself. This is the first time I've knit sooo many twisted stitches at once and I found it slightly difficult to get into a good rhythm for knitting them. The finished socks are well worth the effort of being married to a knitting chart for several weeks, though. 

This is pair #3 for my Holiday gift list. Pair #4 and pair #5 are already complete and I'll share those soon.

1 comment:

  1. I love these socks. Love the color, love the pattern. I think I will be copying these. :)

    ReplyDelete