American Wool Series

Sunday, November 10, 2013

A Knitting Day Trip: Tolt Yarn and Wool

Yesterday I wrangled two of my good friends into my car and took a little day trip out of the city and into the wilds East of Lake Washington. After about a 45 minute drive we arrived in Duvall and had breakfast at the Grange Cafe. This place is delicious. The coffee was tasty and appropriately strong and there were plenty of vegetarian options - my veggies benedict was cooked to perfection and served on a homemade biscuit. Yum! After lingering over our breakfast we made the short drive to Carnation (about 15 minutes South) to attend the Grand Opening of a new yarn store - Tolt Yarn and Wool.

 There was quite a crowd! I think the owner and employees were a little overwhelmed but they were cheerful and smiling and happy to see so many people make the trip.  The store is open and airy (well, it would be open and airy on a normal business day) and smells like freshly cut wood and sheepy wool. In a word, heavenly.
 The fixtures holding yarn were beautiful and inventive. I was particularly taken with this old p.o. box unit. Those are tiny balls of Rowan Fine Tweed.

There were tons of samples throughout the store. This is a Lopi sweater displayed next to Lopi and Peace Fleece yarns. The store is thoughtfully curated with basics like Cascade Yarns and Malabrigo interspersed with interesting and harder to find yarns like Jill Draper, Sweet Fiber, and Spincycle. I came away with some Imperial Stock Ranch Tracie Too in Navy Blue and a heavy duty Tolt mug for my morning coffee. The line to check out was looooong but the little bag of swag they snuck into my bag of purchases and the opportunity to knit while in line made it worthwhile. I'll definitely go back soon!



3 comments:

  1. Yup! Used to live out there in the valley! In Duvall and Carnation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous trip. I love that the yarn store was able to draw that kind of crowd!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for visiting us and for your wonderful blog post!

    ReplyDelete