American Wool Series

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Prep

Just a little knitting before I launch into my latest debacle. It involves baking.

I knit this slouchy hat for my Mother in Law for Christmas. She's allergic to wool but may possibly be able to wear alpaca so I dug out a skein of Cascade Pure Alpaca in a nice red and cast on. The pattern is Ripple by Wendy Bernard and I loved knitting it! This is the worsted weight version but the pattern also includes a sock weight version which I'm contemplating for myself.

So. Baking. Little A's birthday is tomorrow so I attempted a birthday cake. I am NOT a bad baker, in fact, I have a pretty good track record with the oven. My problem is egg whites. They hate me. I do research and follow tips and treat them as I would a fragile work of art and... they fail. Every. Single. Time. Granted, I was working with a Martha Stewart recipe (usually these work great for me) which I found to be over complicated. You know, extra steps and hard to find ingredients where regular ole grocery store ingredients would do and stuff like that. But really, the cake just did not rise more than 1/4 inch and was far too sweet and and and I should have known when I saw the batter that resulted from following the recipe. No good. In steps google and I found a super easy and fast recipe that turned out as batter-y as a cake batter should be and not too sweet and just came out of the oven deliciously golden and birthday cake smelling.

There you have it. Two cakes in a little under three hours and I need to pick up more vanilla for the strawberry frosting. Phew.

3 comments:

  1. Be sure to tell Miss Audrey Happy Birthday from the Brullooly's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the hat. :)

    Have a fabulous birthday celebration for little A, and tell her Happy Birthday from big A. Not that she'll remember who I am... just tell her the girl with the stripey socks. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe she is two today! Take pics and video's please. In a persons life they have to have a baking attempt crash at least once or twice. My bet is the humidity caused the egg whites not to work.

    ReplyDelete